Thursday 14 April 2011

Have and have got

A. Have and have got (= possess, own etc.)

    We often use have got rather than have alone. So you can say:

    * We've got a new car. or We have a new car.

    * Ann has got two sisters. or Ann has two sisters.

      We use have got or have for illnesses, pains etc.:

    * I've got a headache. or I have a headache.

      In questions and negative sentences there are three possible forms:

      Have you got any money?  I haven't got any money.

      Do you have any money?  I don't have any money.

      Have you any money? (less usual)  I haven't any money. (less usual)

      Has she got a car?  She hasn't got a car.

     Does she have a car?  She doesn't have a car.

     Has she a car? (less usual)  She hasn't a car. (less usual)

     When have means 'possess' etc., you cannot use continuous forms (is having/are having
     etc.):

   * I have/I've got a headache. (not 'I'm having')

     For the past we use had (usually without 'got'):

   * Ann had long fair hair when she was a child. (not 'Ann had got')
 
     In past questions and negative sentences we normally use did/didn't:

   * Did they have a car when they were living in London?

   * I didn't have a watch, so I didn't know the time.

   * Ann had long fair hair, didn't she?

B. Have breakfast/have a bath/have a good time etc.

    Have (but not 'have got') is also used for many actions and experiences. For example:

    have breakfast/dinner/a cup of coffee/a cigarette etc.
 
    have a bath/a shower/a swim/a rest/a party/a holiday/a nice time etc.

    have an accident/an experience/a dream etc.

    have a look (at something)/a chat (with somebody)
 
    have a baby (= give birth to a baby)

    have difficulty/trouble/fun

    * Goodbye! I hope you have a nice time.

    * Mary had a baby recently.

  'Have got' is not possible in these expressions. Compare:

  * I usually have a sandwich for my lunch. (have = 'eat' - not 'have got') but

  * I've got some sandwiches. Would you like one?

  In these expressions, have is like other verbs. You can use continuous forms (is having are
  having etc.) where suitable:

  * I had a postcard from Fred this morning. He's on holiday. He says he's having a wonderful
    time. (not 'he has a wonderful time')
 
  * The phone rang while we were having dinner. (not 'while we had')

     In questions and negative sentences we normally use do/does/did:

  * I don't usually have a big breakfast. (not 'I usually haven't')

  * What time does Ann have lunch? (not 'has Ann lunch')

  * Did you have any difficulty finding somewhere to live?

EXERCISES

17.1 Write negative sentences with have. Some are present (can't) and some are past
       (couldn't).

  1. I can't make a phone call. (any change)

      I haven't got any change.

  2. I couldn't read the notice. (my glasses)
   
      I didn't have my glasses.

  3. I can't climb up onto the roof. (a ladder)

      I ---

  4. We couldn't visit the museum. (enough time)

      We ---

  5. He couldn't find his way to our house. (a map)

  6. She can't pay her bills. (any money)

  7. They can't get into the house. (a key)

  8. I couldn't take any photographs. (a camera)

17.2 Complete these questions with have. Some are present and some are past.

  1. Excuse me, have you got a pen I could borrow?

  2. Why are you holding your face like that? --- a toothache?

  3. --- a bicycle when you were a child?

  4. '--- the time, please?' 'Yes, it's ten past seven.'

  5. When you did the exam, --- time to answer all the questions?

  6. I need a stamp for this letter. --- one?

  7. 'It started to rain while I was walking home.' 'Did it? --- an umbrella?
'
17.3 In this exercise you have to write sentences about yourself. Choose four of the following
        things (or you can choose something else):

       a car  a bicycle  a moped  a guitar  a computer  a camera  a driving licence  a job  a dog/a
       cat (or another animal)

       Have you got these things now? Did you have them ten years ago? Write two sentences
       each time using I've got/I haven't got and I had/I didn't have.

       now  ten years ago (or five if you're too young)

  1. I've got a car.  I didn't have a car.

  2. ---  ---

  3. ---  ---

  4. ---  ---

17.4 Complete these sentences. Use an expression from the list and put the verb into the
        correct form where necessary.

        have lunch  have a swim  have a nice time  have a chat  have a cigarette  have a rest
        have a good flight  have a baby  have a shower  have a party  have a look

  1. I don't eat much during the day. I never _have lunch._
 
  2. David likes to keep fit, so he --- every day.

  3. We --- last Saturday. It was great - we invited lots of people.

  4. Excuse me, can I --- at your newspaper, please?

  5. 'Where's Jim?' 'He --- in his room. He's very tired.'

  6. I met Ann in the supermarket yesterday. We stopped and ---.

  7. I haven't seen you since you came back from holiday ---?

  8. Suzanne --- a few weeks ago. It's her second child.

  9. I don't usually smoke but I was feeling very nervous, so I ---.

  10. The phone rang but I couldn't answer it because I ---.

  11. You meet Tom at the airport. He has just arrived. You say:

       Hello, Tom. ---?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flag Counter

free counters